CALL US TODAY AT 888-578-3100

Indiana State Health Department Finds that West Lafayette Man’s Death Likely Resulted from Food Poisoning

Blog

A recent investigation by the Indiana State Health Department has concluded stemming from an incident on October 22, 2016, in which four people reported becoming sick after dining at Agave Azul in West Lafayette. Following the death of a West Lafayette man who died from a food-borne illness, clostridium perfringens following the incient, further investigation of Agave Azul was completed for which the restaurant was closed for five days for inspection and testing of food samples. Of the numerous inspections conducted between October 2016 and February 2017, the Health Department observed food handling concerns which included keeping cooked food stored inadequate temperatures within the restaurant, a known catalyst for producing foodborne illnesses. Moreover, as each of the sick patrons of the restaurants showed the symptoms of suffering from clostridium perfringens, including two patrons who tested positive for the disease after being tested when admitted to a local hospital, Health Department officials reported that it was highly likely that improper food handling likely caused the October 2016 incident and resulted in the West Lafayette man’s death.

 

Although there are numerous federal and state laws, guidelines, and standards restaurants and food stores must comply with in order to prevent food-related disease or deaths, such rules are not often limited only to the food industry. As we approach warmer weather and the grilling season, it’s important to ensure that meat and other foods are stored at appropriate temperatures and prepared safely for guests, and a simple step such as using a food thermometer could make a difference in preventing foodborne illnesses or other preventable food-related injuries. If you or someone you know is injured due to the negligence of another, please contact Schiller Law at 888-578-3100 or IndyInjured.com for a free consultation and case evaluation.

 

Source:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/health-department-food-from-west-lafayette-mexican-restaurant-likely-the-cause-of-mans-death

Comments are closed.

Have a look at our video commercial!